October 30, 2004

PC Assembly Language

PC Assembly Language

I taught Computer Science at the University of Central Oklahoma for 10 years. During this time I taught an introductory course in PC Assembly Language programming. I grew frustrated at teaching 16-bit real mode programming and decided to change to 32-bit protected mode. However, I soon ran into a problem. I could not find a textbook that covered 32-bit protected mode assembly programming! So, I decided to write my own.

I also did not want students to have to go out and buy expensive software for the course. I decided to base the course on the free NASM (Netwide Assembler) and the free GNU gcc compiler (however, any 32-bit C compiler would work). Another advantage of these choices was that students could use Windows, Linux or FreeBSD to develop on. (In fact, I use Linux for my main development platform.)

Dr Paul Carter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home